Medical cannabis has become increasingly popular among patients seeking natural remedies for a variety of ailments, from chronic pain to anxiety and depression. Practices like ReThink-Rx now provide evaluations, counseling and certification for a Virginia medical marijuana card right on your phone or computer.
Your cannabis therapy is an important component of your overall health plan and it is always advisable to include that in your conversations with all your healthcare providers. However, many patients may feel hesitant to discuss their medical cannabis use with their primary care doctors, fearing judgment or disapproval.
Here are some tips for talking to your primary care doctor about your medical cannabis therapy.
- Be honest and open: The most important thing is to be honest with your doctor about your medical cannabis use. Doctors are trained to provide non-judgmental care and will need to know about your medical cannabis use to provide you with the best care possible.
- Know the laws in your state: Before discussing medical cannabis use with your doctor, it’s important to know the laws in your state regarding medical cannabis. Some states have legalized medical cannabis, while others have not. Knowing the laws in your state can help you have a more informed conversation with your doctor.
- Do your research: Educate yourself about the potential benefits and risks of medical cannabis use, as well as any potential drug interactions with other medications you may be taking. This will help you have a more informed conversation with your doctor and ask any questions you may have.
- Keep track of your symptoms: Keeping track of your symptoms and how medical cannabis use affects them can be helpful in discussing your medical cannabis use when talking to your doctor. This will help your doctor better understand how medical cannabis is working for you and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.
- Ask for guidance: If you’re unsure about how to approach the conversation with your doctor, ask for guidance from a medical professional who specializes in medical cannabis like those at ReThink-Rx. They can provide you with resources and guidance on how to have a productive talk with your doctor.
- Respect your doctor’s opinion: Your doctor may have concerns about medical cannabis use or may not feel comfortable recommending it. It’s important to respect their opinion and work with them to find the best treatment plan for you.
- Be mindful: While over 70% of healthcare providers nationwide endorse cannabis as a therapeutic option, fewer than 1 in 10 are experienced or educated to offer specific guidance. It is not uncommon for medical providers to have some hesitancy, especially in new legal states like Virginia. If your primary care doctor is not comfortable discussing your medical cannabis strategy, remember that the medical providers at ReThink-Rx are medical professionals who specialize in medical cannabis and can help you work with your cannabis treatment plan.
Overall, discussing medical cannabis use with your primary care doctor can be challenging, but it’s important to be honest and open about your use. Even if your reThink-Rx doctor certified you for cannabis, it is important that your other healthcare providers are aware of your cannabis therapy too. They may need to make adjustments to some of your other medicines or plans as a result.
By doing your research and keeping track of your symptoms, you can have a more informed conversation with your doctor and work together to find the best plan for your overall health and wellness.
Dr. Nicholas Marsh has been a respected board-certified anesthesiologist in Northern Virginia for over 35 years. Recognized as a top doctor by FindaTopDoc.com, his vision for providing top-quality medical services is driven by his passion for patient comfort and dignity.